Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mississauga 10km....a personal best

So the day finally arrived, when both myself and my mom would participate in the Mississauga 10km race event. First of its kind for my mom, and second for myself. The entire time I had just told myself I wanted to beat last years time from the Whitby 10km which was 50 minutes 52 seconds.....I didn't think that was too much to ask for.

As I awoke to a potential downpour, i slowly began to beleive that this race was not going to actually continue. As the day continued and the winds picked up, the temperature dropped alot and before I knew it I was wearing sweatpants, and a sweatshirt and seriously reconsidering this event. We went anyways. Showed up to the dark and cloudy start line and begin to warm up amongst the other runners. When the race offically started we headed out along one main street of mississauga. The first km was all pure hill. Defintly not a nice way to start off the race. But whatever. The course looped around the waterfront and threw various subdivisions. With people cheering you on the whole way. As I appraoched the 5km mark I noticed my time was at 24 minutes 7 seconds. And I knew I had to pick it up if I wanted to come in under my last years time. Slowly but surely I picked up the pace, ran past the 6km, 7km, and 8km mark. One spotting the 8km I began to really pick up the pace and before I knew it I was in the last stretch to the finish. I sprinted my life out, passing god knows how many people to the finish. To see a time that surely shocked me and my family.

The final results were posted shortly after, yet we awited for my mom to come into the finish. Still proud even though she was defitnyl tired she had the determination and will power to finish.

So how did I do you may ask. I can't even belive it myself. Here we go. Are you ready??

I placed 133 out of 1432 people in the entire race.
I placed 6 out of 102 in my age category for women aged 20-24.
I placed 20 out of 820 among all women in the race.

As for time......I ran it in 47:31!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still can't believe it. I have never been so happy. I can't wait to see the photo's. So keep posted, the photo's should be up soon!

Today is a day of rest and to celebrate mothers day of course, but starting tomrrow back to the redicious training schedual for the full in June. Boy oh boy. I'm addicted.