Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bikes Rides R Us...(a post and a half.)

So the long weekend has offically started well today is officaly half over. But none the less it has been going incredible. This post is unrelated to running, yet focuses more on biking, and how a small vehcile with two wheels can bring such joy to someones life. I had planned that this weekend I would do an epic ride. A bike adventure that I would be proud of, one that would stay in my memory and bring joy to myself that maybe I had been missing previously. Originally the plan was to bike to toronto and around the downtwon core, then when prepared to come home hop on the go train back to town. Small change of plans considering there was the carabana festival. Instead the planned changed alot more. I headed out with an old friend who I hadn't seen in months. Believeing that maybe this ride would be alot more awarkward and weird but it wasn't. It was almost as if time had standed still in the midst of our lives and just secretly months passed, therefore when we reunited nothing changed.

It started off at 11 when I board the go train headed westbound to Oakville where I would meet him. I have never felt more out of place on a train ride then I did that day. IT was packed with people in beaded costumes, showing all sorts of skin as I stood on the train dressed for a bike ride with a helmet and backpack and a bicycle taking up a large chunk of the train. The train was delayed because of the overflow of passangers getting on and off at all the stops so I didn't reach oakville till 1. But I wouldn't let the train put me down. After arriving and meeting up, we attached out bikes to the back of the automobile and pressed onward. From here the adventure started we aimed to drive to Niagara on the lake for an epic riding adventure all along the parkway. There was so much traffic on the QEW (because of the long weekend)...stupid us should have thought about that. But w.e We watched aladin and drove hoping to arrive before sunset. We stopped for food and picked up a few tall boys for the cycle. By 4:30/5 we arrived at Fort George with relief.

As soon as we hopped on our bikes we remember what the wait was all for. It felt so good to just give it all you had and pedal. The path and area surrouding was packed with people, yet with his quick bike and my determination to keep up we passed loads of people. Road past some amazing scenary. The big floral clock, fort george, sail boats, the hydro station, the botanical gardens, some winaries until we reached Niagara Glen. Here we hiked down, and hiked all through the foresty area. We did some pretend rock climbing, and he taught me some neat tricks and how to do bouldering (i think it was called). I wiped out on a rock, thinking I could jump on it, ended up slipping on the wet moss and brusiing my bum and leg. But meh, what are adventures for without the cuts and scrapes. We walked down to the waters edge, walked in the water, skipped rocks, which somehow turned into a massive water fight. Me losing of course. (damn evolution and the strength of man). Needed a bathroom break, hiked back up, used them, then hiked back down and did it all over again haha.

It started to get dark so we decided to head home. With the path being very invisiable to the eye we had multiple pathway mishaps. Followed by me verring off the path and ended up riding on the grass. As well as every time a car came close they had their highbeams on so it made it impossible to see. It was like a blinding walk to the light episode ever time. Which blinded the path and we then had to guess. To be honest though, it was well worth it. Yes, many can say that is very unsafe but at the time you are just living in the moment and in the excitment that the darkness produces. Almost living on a high...just not the drug aspect more high on life effect. After multple almost crashes, misdirections, and blinded eyes, we reached the car at 11.

We then we desperate for food, so we ate, then drove home. Exhausted beyond belief, but so very worth it. I thank him not only for the idea of the location, the drives he provided but also for the incredible journey along the way. It was defintly a day I would not forget. And perhaps another one should be in progress.




No comments: