Sunday, July 26, 2009

another half under the belt.

What a day!

I think those three words sum it up quiet well. After deciding a while ago to run another half marathon today was the final day of the race. It would be my second half marathon and my mom's first. Turns out my uncle was there as well. IT was an incredible day for running. Even though my training for this run was not as well as I had planned because of work getting involved I still new I could finish it. The goal this time, was to beat the previous time of my half which was 2:05.

We woke up this morning, pumped and ready to go. After eating a delicious banana and filling up water bottles we were off to the race. The race started at 9am and even at 9 it was quiet warm, alot better running conditions then that of the full. As we headed out, I felt really slow. The first 5km's I felt like it was my slowest running yet, when i looked at my watch it had been 25 minutes. I knew I can do a 5km faster then that so I knew I had to pick up my pace for the next 15.

As we kept running the sun started beating down, I could feel the sweat dripping off my back and forhead. I was glad to have my running fuel belt, to provide water during those partched steps of the run. The route went down past the psyc hospital and along the water front, threw the subdivison and around the marine and then back and around it again. It was a neat course, yet each time we entered the subdivison you could feel the heat attack your body.

Because it was an out and back course, throughout many times in the run I passed my uncle and my mom, both with smiles to see and hope for them to finish. I felt I picked up the pace quiet a bit and every 5km's I got faster and faster. Till the final strech of the run. I was passing people who had passed me right at the beginning. At the 18km mark I ran like there was no tomorrow, turing the last coroner and coming through to the finish there was a guy on a bike who told me 300 meters to finish.

He followed me the entire way, cheering me on. Commenting me on my legs, stride and telling the guy in front of me to move over so he doesn't get steam rolled. I didn't believe I was running that fast but who knows. The man was a great support to have and I felt like the wind. Flying to the finish.

Here are the results so far, when the get posted I'll fill you in on more details. So far I was 38th out of ...... I was the 7th female out of...... I was the 3rd in my age category.....AND get this I finished with a time of 1 hour and 43 minutes....CAN YOU BELIEVE IT. I am still in shock. Considering the heat, and the worn out shoes, I creamed my time from last's half. It was an amazing finish, I am so proud and so glad I did it. I can't wait for the next. Props to my mom and uncle for finishing as well. Both with times they were really proud of. Well my mom was proud to just finish and that was incredible enough. I ran back and ran the last finish .5k with her till the end. I love her to death and can only hope she knows how proud we all are.



1 comment:

Red said...

My jaw is on the floor.

That's all I have to say right now.

You're making me feel sheepish that my only goal for the rest of the running season is to MAYBE do a 10K. hahaha

And I canNOT run 5K in under 25 minutes. Oy. Definitely not a half-marathon in 1:43. You're a superstar!!