Friday, December 11, 2009

Tour Du Canada 2010

Hey Everyone!!!

So this may be the most extreme epic and intense post you will ever read that I will write about. I know it's early that I share it but time seems to be flying by and I wanted to prepare everyone for my summer that lies ahead. So here it goes.....I am planning on doing the Tour du Canada. I applied in October and happened to get accepted. I never thought that, this chance would be even possible but I have decided that I have been given the chance I can not pass it up. Tour du Canada, is the longest annual bike ride in the WORLD. It is a cross continent trip which will take place this summer for 10 weeks.

The 7,550 -kilometre trip goes through all 10 provinces and allows riders to experience the diversity of the regions. We ride from west to east, taking advantage of prevailing winds. So we are starting in Vancouver B.C. and finishing in St. John's Newfoundland. We plan to leave June 26th with an optional trip to mile 0 on vancouver island the day before. Which I defintly am planning on doing. Then finally ending in good old Newfoundland for a banquet dinner. Each accommodations is pre-arranged. At a few locations we stay in university dorms or hostels, but mainly it's my own tent over my head at night. It consists of 72 days total with a few rest days inbetween days of riding. A truck is supplied to carry my tent and multiple belongings so during the day it is me, my bike, and my lunch on the road. There is a chance for internet and mailing locations at time, so don't fear I will indeed keep in touch.

I know that their will be days where it will be the hardest thing to get up and pedal especially interms of extreme weather conditions, but the ending result will be a feeling that I can't even describe. I think it will be bigger and better then any running race I have completed.I feel that the tour is an experience of my lifetime that cannot be missed or passed up. I am both extremely excited and extremely nervous. I hope you all continue to follow this blog for the summer months to keep posted on my whereabouts of the trip.

3 comments:

Red said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

Anonymous said...

Steph

I think we have touched base before - I am doing Tour Artic. Would love to do TdC, but 10 weeks is a long time to be off - would have been WAY cheaper to do that since I had to buy new bike and accessories, etc.

Anyway - I saw your blog posted, so I was rifling through it. Where did you get the idea to do this - was it from reading Mike Beauchamp blog???? His blog was so cool.

I love that black t-shirt - happy being me - with the bike on - where did you get it????

I've been out - 50K this past Sunday. Let's try to hook up at some point. I'm in Mississauga.

Elaine

stephs.unforgettable.moments said...

Hi Elaine!!

I think your right we have touched base. It was probably about training periods and such and meeting up considering were both in the southern Ontario region. I defintly read Mike Beauchamp's blog, and he was a huge inspiration into doing the entire TDC trip. Have you watched his dvd? Its incredible. I actually bought it at this school fair thingy. Which probably isn't too helpful but they do have a website it's called www.happybeingme.com. They make all different kinds, ones with cyclists, ones with runners, skiers, etc. Jealous of the 50km. I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can start doing the larger incraments. Thanks for reading the blog by the way!